Tuesday, March 8, 2022

REALITY ISN'T VERY IDEAL

We all live on the same planet but in many different nations and even more "little" worlds. So for most, it's hard to make our own little world (or perhaps realm) wonderful when others are so badly failing to do so. But regardless of how great you might think you are or the space you occupy is, reality, sometimes harsh reality, is always a limiting part whether in a positive or negative way. 


Using our ongoing inner process that's dominated by thought and emotion, we act and react to the life experience with responses and choices. Which we usually hope to be the best we can do but too often we come up short. Needless to to say, we should live beyond our basic instincts and inclinations as much as we can but does that mean that ideals or highest values are something which are always needed, stand as our greatest expectations? If so, are they ever really accomplished on any consistent basis? A few lines from Lancelot's song C'est Moi in "Camelot" come to mind.

C'est moi
So admirably fit
A French Prometheus unbound
And here I stand with valour untold
Exceptionally brave amazingly bold
To serve at the Table Round
The soul of a knight should be a thing remarkable
His heart and his mind as pure as morning dew
With a will and a self-restraint
That's the envy of every saint
He could easily work a miracle or two
To love and desire he ought to be unsparkable
The ways of the flesh should offer no allure
But where in the world
Is there in the world
A man so untouched and pure?
(C'est moi)
C'est moi
C'est moi I blush to disclose
I'm far too noble to lie
That man in whom
These qualities bloom
C'est moi c'est moi 'tis I
I've never strayed
From all I believe
I'm blessed with an iron will
Had I been made
The partner of Eve
We'd be in Eden still
C'est moi
C'est moi
The angels have chose
To fight their battles below
And here I stand as pure as a prayer
Incredibly clean with virtue to spare
The godliest man I know
C'est moi

There's the illusion of virtue, rightness, purity and innocence then there's the reality that we have to deal. Being able to take a good look at ourselves does not occur automatically or with any efficiency. I get, as you may as well, some extremely idealist platitudes usually in a short meme like this one.


I have trouble seeing how this kind of idealism works in a real world and may I say, in real people. Perhaps I'm wrong, but so far I find myself still waiting to be proved so. ....Not that I haven't heard quite a few of claims. As for the world, it seems to work on various levels but even the best examples have their faults, some of which are very glaring or no longer can be covered up. Even so, I think most would agree that those at the lowest levels of inhumanity shouldn't have any power to inflict their insane, selfish evil on others.

It's rather interesting that the death and misery caused by a murderous war criminal has bought some previous opponents together and made an even clearer difference between good and evil in our world and in mankind. Now if only we can remember this and not drift back into a one-sided toleration that is embraced regardless of their actions, their beliefs, their mentality, their sense of exceptional superiority and their perceived God-given right to rule the world.

Many remember the line at the end of Camelot where King Arthur says to the boy Tom, "Don't let it be forgot..." When he starts to return to behind the front lines, King Pellinore asks, "Who is that, Arthur?" With, I think, after a brief reflection, he replies. 

“One of what we all are Pelli. Less than a drop in the great blue motion of the sunlit sea. But, it seems that some of the drops sparkle, Pelli. Some of them do sparkle. (To Tom): Run Boy! Run boy! Run! Oh, run, my boy.”




No comments:

Post a Comment